Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Main tennu fer miilangi

ਮੈਂ ਤੇਨ੍ਨੁ ਫੇਰ ਮਿਲਾਂਗੀ 

Amrita Pritam was an Indian writer & poet who primarily wrote in punjabi. She was born in the Punjab now in Pakistan, but moved to Delhi after partition. Her words have been appreciated not just by masses, but also by other eminent  poets. This one, is one of her best, recited by Gulzar


Main tenu fer milangi.
Main tenu fer milangi
kithe? kis trah? pata nai
shayad tere takhiyl di chinag banke
teri canvas te utrangi
ya khore teri canvas dey utte
ik rahasmayi lakir banke 
kamosh tenu takdi rawangi

I'll meet you again...
Where? How? I don't know...
Maybe I will become a figment of your imagination,
I'll drop on your canvas...
Or perhaps, I'll become a mysterious line on your canvas,
and keep gazing at you silently...

Jaa khore suraj ki loo banke
tere ranga vich ghulangi
jaa ranga diyan bahwa vich beth ke
teri canvas nu wlangi
pata nai kistrah-kithe
par tenu jrur milangi.

Perhaps, I'll become a ray of sunlight,
and get mixed in your palette...
I will get embraced with your colors
and get spread (painted) on your canvas...
I don't know how or where...
But I will meet you again...

Jaa khore ik chashma bani howangi
te jiven jharneya da paani udd da
main pani diyan bunda
tere pinde te malangi
te ik thandak jahi banke
teri chaati de naal lagangi

Or perhaps I'll become a water spring,
and the way the water of a spring rises in bubbles...
I'll become it's droplets & rub your body...
and rest my coolness on your chest...

main hor kujh nai jaandi
par ena jaandi
ki waqt jo v karega
ae janam mere naal turega
Ae jism mukkda hai
tan sab kujh mukk janda
par cheteyan dey dhaage
kaayenaati kana dey hunde
main uhna kana nu chunagi
dhageyan nu walangi
Te tenu main Fer milangi...

I don't know anything else, but this,
that this life will walk along with me...
This body perishes & takes away everything with it,
but threads of memories are woven with particles of endurance...
I'll pick these particles & weave these threads again...
And I'll meet you again...


Essence: The writer is telling her beloved, that irrespective of time, life & death, I will meet you again. This could be the last words of a dying lover or a message from a berated heart, that you won't be able to forget me. You will find me everywhere...

2 comments:

  1. Please, please post the original in Gurmukhi 🙏🏽
    Many thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete